10 Tips to Help You Stick with a Healthy Lifestyle
So you’ve decided that enough is enough and you’re ready to commit to living a more healthy lifestyle. Awesome? Now you need to stick with it.Here are a few helpful tips to help you stay on track:
5. You are not a Dog! Many of us reward ourselves for reaching a goal or achieving a milestone with food. Instead, treat yourself to a new pair of workout shoes, date night or a walk or bike ride in a special place. There are plenty of other things out there that will bring you more pleasure than a few seconds on your tongue.
6. Use a Calorie Calculator. The people who write down what they eat, lose more weight and keep it off longer compared to those that do not. There are a ba-zillion sights out there that can do this for you. My personal favorite is www.myfitnesspal.com. You can personalize your diary so that it will keep count of what you have eaten and how many calories you have left in your day. If you’re looking to loose 1 pound a week, you must eat 500 calories less than you burn. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER eat less than 1200 calories a day!!!
7. Keep your Metabolism Burning by eating 5-6 small meals a day. Every 3 hours or so you should be eating 200-300 calories of healthy foods. Have your 3 main meals, then add in a morning snack and an afternoon snack. Your metabolism will stay high all day and you won’t have those nasty sleepy spells in the afternoon!
8. Eat Breakfast! Think of your body as a fine automobile. You can’t run your vehicle with no fuel and it won’t perform well with bad fuel. Make sure you have a healthy breakfast like some fresh fruit with yogurt, some whole grain toast and nut butter or a great quality smoothie.
9. Plan your Meals. Sometimes this is the hardest obstacle to overcome, but if you do it, the guess work is take out of your week. You already know what you will be eating and you never have to worry about going over in calories. Plus for us Moms, it takes the guesswork out of what to cook for dinner each night. I love doing this. It really takes the pressure off.
10.We are all works in progress. It’s almost impossible to eat perfectly every day, so don’t allow one bad choice to result in bingeing the rest of the day or falling back into old habits-and that includes on vacation! Just because you’re on vacation doesn’t mean that your eating habits are, too!
I know as hard as it may seem at times to get into shape, it’s often more stressful, depressing and even potentially life threatening to remain overweight.